Friday, May 10, 2013

Poem of the Week: Sami Miranda


            

Found Poem - 
New Hampshire Avenue and Piney Branch
 
Please

          (this is what my mama taught me to say

           before I ask for anything)

I am need

           (this is my alter ego, my superhero identity

           the one that makes me do this electric boogaloo

           along the double yellow line, that makes me tap

           at your window with this handmade sign)

help God bless you

            (cause you know he ain't paying you

            no mind, just like you

            ain't paying me no mind

            but he will if you just pay, a quarter

            a dime or nickel, he'd prefer you pay in dollar bills

            twenties if you have them to spare

            meet me with kindness, in exchange

            blessings, blessings, blessings)
 

-Sami Miranda

Used by permission.


Sami Miranda is an educator, poet and visual artists who makes his home in Washington, DC. His work has been published in Al Pie De la Casa BlancaFull Moon on K Stthe Chiron ReviewDC Poets Against the War Anthology, MiPoesias.com and Beltway among others. He has performed at venues such as the Kennedy Center, The Smithsonian Museum of American Art, The Smithsonian Museum of African Art and GALA Theatre. Sami curated the Sabor Sunday reading series in Washington DC, that brought two poets, a trio of musicians and two visual artists into conversation. He is currently recording a jazz and poetry collaboration with bass player Pepe Gonzalez. He develops and facilitates interactive poetry workshops for youth and adults and holds an MFA from The Bennington Writing Seminars.
 

Please feel free to forward Split This Rock Poem of the Weekwidely. We just ask you to include all of the information in this email, including this request. Thanks!

If you are interested in reading past poems of the week, feel free to visit the blog archive.    

No comments: